All That You Need to Know About Dental Sealants
There are many advantages of using dental sealants. Dental sealants help by providing a thin coating. This thin coating is painted on the surface of the teeth used for chewing purposes. It protects from tooth loss, tooth decay and other such damages. Dental sealants benefit the most when used for molars and premolars.
Dental sealants benefit people of all age groups. If your child does not have dental sealants, his teeth are three times more prone to cavities than a child who has dental sealants. If you have a child, you must be in constant fear of cavities or tooth decay that can affect your child’s oral hygiene. You can’t visit a dentist each time for a check-up for teeth cleaning. What’s the recourse?
Children are more likely to develop cavities than adults. It is because adults can monitor their eating habits and food palate but not kids. Hence, the most viable option to protect your children from cavities is to use dental sealants. It is the most relied method adopted by parents and recommended by pedodontists all across the world. If you need a pediatric dentist in 06460, contact Big Smiles Pediatric Dentistry.
There are certain facts about dental sealants that you should be acquainted with. They are as follows:
- Children and teenagers are fond of eating junk food and suckling sweets such as candies, liquorice. This makes them prone to cavities and may lead to tooth loss or tooth decay. Tooth decay occurs mostly in the grooves. These grooves are present on the surfaces of the back teeth used for chewing of grinding. Dental sealants protect the teeth from bacterial infection and keep food particles away from these grooves.
- Shaded plastic is used for making sealants. It is applied on the surface of back teeth. It protects the teeth from cavities and helps in the maintenance of dental health and oral hygiene. Sealants can be of different types. Some sealants harden on their own due to chemical process or dentists rely on the use of a special type of light to harden them.
- It is indubitable that brushing and flossing are mandatory to maintain a healthy set of teeth. But no matter how efficiently you brush your teeth, it is difficult to clean pits and grooves on some teeth. These crevices become prone to bacterial infection and may lead to tooth decay. Sealants protect your teeth and lower the risk of decay by sealing out food.
- Sealants can be applied at any age. But there is an advantage if you apply it in childhood. It is because if the sealant is applied in childhood, it will guard your teeth against cavities until you reach adulthood. Sealants are known to last for many years, if you take proper care, they can last much longer. You will have to maintain good dental hygiene. If would be better if you visit a dentist for a regular check-up. Your dentist will inform you if your sealants require repair or reapplication. If you are looking for a pediatric dentist near you, contact Big Smiles Pediatric Dentistry.
- Application of sealants is an easy process. It is cost-effective. Sealants will be applied in one single sitting. This procedure does not include drilling or removing teeth.
- When you go for a sealant application, the tooth that is to be sealed is cleaned by the dentist. An acid solution is used to condition the respective tooth and then left to dry. Once it has dried, the sealant is applied on the pit and grooves of the selected tooth. It is left to harden on its own accord or the dentist uses a special light to harden it.
- When it comes to keeping the surfaces of the teeth clean, saliva is helpful. But it does not reach the grooves and pits of the teeth. Hence, permanent molars are at huge risk of tooth decay and tooth loss. Application of sealants ensures that the teeth are sealed and prevents food particles from entering the crevices. Do you need a sealant application, look for a pediatric dentist in Milford, CT.
Dental sealants assist in the maintenance of oral health. Good oral health, in turn, benefits your overall health. So, no matter how much you emphasize on brushing and flossing, dental sealants protect places that are difficult to reach.
If you are planning to get dental sealants in Milford, CT, schedule an appointment with Big Smiles Pediatric Dentistry. Nothing else will protect your teeth from cavities and tooth decay like sealants.